- Cooking Time: 25-30 min.
- Difficulty: medium
The burnt sugar syrup helps give this old fashioned cake a unique flavor.
- To make burnt sugar syrup, dump 1 1/3 cup sugar in skillet on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-low. Stir occasionally, until melted. Add the hot water, continue stirring until it bubbles up. Cook until it looks like syrup. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine room temperature butter and the 1 1/2 cups sugar. Cream. Add two egg yolks and beat again.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites till fluffy.
- To the bowl with flour, add the creamed butter mixture, 1 cup burnt sugar syrup and the milk. Beat well. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Divide into two round, greased cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To make burnt sugar icing, combine powdered sugar, remaining burnt sugar syrup, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, milk or water. Beat until smooth and spreadable. (If too stiff, add more milk or water.)
- Frost cake and decorate with pecan halves.
You may also like
Add Your Comment